Tuesday 27 January 2015

Auschwitz 70th Anniversary

(All Photos Are My Own)

I know this is a very different and quite a sensitive post to place on my blog, but all day I have been watching on the news and listening on the radio to people talking about Auschwitz.

Today is the 70th Anniversary, marking the Liberation of Auschwitz from the Nazis.

Auschwitz | Entrance 

Back in November, whilst in Poland, I visited Auschwitz | and Auschwitz ||, Birkenau. There is an Auschwitz ||| but it is not open to the public. As sad and emotional as the visit was, I am so glad that I have been there. I learnt so much about the way things happened and found out far more of what went on at those camps than what most people know. Many think that the prisoners were brought into the camps and either made to work or sent straight to the gas chambers. So much more went on and even more happened that we do not know about because the Nazis destroyed so much evidence.


Auschwitz |

Auschwitz |

Auschwitz |

Auschwitz ||

Obviously I won't go into detail about the tour as It is not something I feel would be enjoyable to read. I would however say that If you ever have the opportunity to visit Auschwitz, I highly recommend it. It makes you think, It makes you cry (I did several times), It makes you want to learn and It makes you want to remember. To remember those that had to go through this.

Today at Auschwitz | and Auschwitz || Birkenau a memorial ceremony was held. Survivors and families of victims lit candles and prayers were said in memory of what happened. It was also announced that a National Memorial and a learning centre will be set up in Britain to remind and teach people of the Holocaust.

Auschwitz ||

Auschwitz || Plaque

I am so pleased that people are learning and educating people of what happened, ensuring something like this can never happen again. Over 1.6 million people were murdered, I pray we never forget.

Amy x


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Amy Jennifer Taylor. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig